Just a quick fix I discovered this weekend. It’s probably quite specific but hopefully if you come across this in future it will save you some time.
I had just finished rebuilding the second node in my lab from 5.1 with a fresh install. I added the software iSCSI initiator and connected it to my iSCSI target (Synology DS412+) using Dynamic Discovery. I then rescanned for a list of devices, and although I was picking up the IQN for the iSCSI server, I couldn’t see any devices!
I tried lots of things including removing and re-adding the initiator, messing with iSCSI bindings, but nothing! Very frustrating.
After a bit of googlage, I came across this KB article from VMware:
Cannot see some or all storage devices in VMware vCenter Server or VirtualCenter (1016222)
Although this was specific to VI3/vSphere 4, it did trigger a thought! Just before I built the new node, I rejigged all of my storage LUNs, deleting 3 old ones in the process (which just so happened to be the first 3 LUNs on my NAS). What I believe this caused is that the LUNs were viewed by node 1 as different LUN IDs on node 2, so they refused to show up!
So now, the fix. Incredibly simple as it turns out:
- Created three new temp 10GB LUNs on my old NAS which would then assume LUN IDs 1/2/3 as they originally had (before I deleted them).
- Rescan the new node of the cluster for storage
- Confirmed all of the LUNs are now visible
- Deleted the three temp LUNs from the Synology (I don’t plan to add any more nodes for now so I have no need of these temp LUNs, but as they’re thin provisioned anyway it actually wouldn’t hurt to leave them there).
- Rescan the ESXi host again to ensure it can still see the LUNs.
- Job done!
Not much to it, but worth a quick post I thought as this simple issue wasted a chunk of my time!